Would you say you have an inclusive culture for neurodivergent colleagues? This special episode of Planet Possible explores how we can all create better practices and ways of working. Hear first hand stories from Lea Nightingale, JBA Consulting & CIEEM; Zoe Brunswick, RSK; Rai Hastie, The Environment Agency; Francesca Brahmbhatt, CIWEM; and Emily Clarke, Binnies and a panel discussion on the dos and don’ts of managing a neurodiverse workplace with tips for employers and line managers.
*Content warning: This podcast contains brief mentions of experiences around mental ill-health and miscarriage which some listeners may find upsetting.
Many different types of neurodivergence exist, and it can be hard to understand what workplace adjustments we can make that will support everyone. What constitutes a reasonable request? Whose responsibility is it? Niki Roach is joined by Lea Nightingale, JBA Consulting & CIEEM; Zoe Brunswick, RSK; Rai Hastie, The Environment Agency; Francesca Brahmbhatt, CIWEM; and Emily Clarke, Binnies to try to unpick some of those questions and provide tips to help shape a better work environment for all.
Harnessing neurodiversity in the workplace
Workplaces and practices have been designed around neurotypical thinking, but the changes we can make to support neurodivergent thinking make the workplace more supportive for everyone. This podcast explores how we can create more inclusive cultures for neurodivergent colleagues. We also discuss why networks are so important for both employees and employers and how to support these networks in your workplace.
- Learn from those with lived experiences
- Be an employer of choice
- Look for barriers to inclusion
- Discuss what reasonable adjustments look like
What neurodiversity networks enable:
- Allow people who face common challenges to come together
- Sharing of personal stories and ways or working
- Shaping new policies and HR best practice
CIWEM is dedicated to sharing knowledge on neurodiversity, to get involved, please contact Francesca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This episode is transcribed to provide wider access to the content of the pod.
- Work, neurodivergence and me: https://www.ciwem.org/news/work-neurodivergence-and-me
- CIWEM celebrates neurodiversity within the team: https://www.ciwem.org/news/ciwem-celebrates-neurodiversity-within-the-team
- Support neurodiversity in the workplace: https://rskgroup.com/life-at-rsk/supporting-neurodiversity-in-the-workplace/
This special episode of Planet Possible is sponsored by RSK.